Tuesday 20 November 2012

The Sea Change & Other Stories

A new book from Swan River press showcases the short fiction of Helen Grant, two of whose stories appeared in early issues of ST. One of those stories, 'The Sea Change', gives its title to the collection; it's a powerful and enigmatic tale of a diver who becomes obsessed with the wreck of an ancient ship, and undergoes a strange and unpleasant tranformation.

The contents are as follows:

Grauer Hans
The Sea Change
The Game of Bear
Self Catering
Nathair Dhubh
Alberic de Mauléon
The Calvary at Banská Bystrica

Two stories, 'The Game of Bear' and 'Alberic de Mauleon', were produced for competitions in the Ghosts & Scholars newsletter, and I can testify to their excellence. Sadly, though, Brian Showers of Swan River tells me this book is unlikely to be out in time for Christmas - however, it will be published early in the New Year.

The picture below is the excellent cover by Jason Zerillo.

3 comments:

Sam said...

I've mentioned this before, but it won't hurt to say it again. The Sea Change was, I think, the year's best ghost story certainly that I saw anywhere at the time of its publication.

valdemar said...

I'm inclined to agree. It's a first-rate story and deserves to be more widely read.

Sam said...

I think I'll wait for the paperback, though

ATARASHII GAKKO! - HANAKO (Official Music Video)

'Hanako of the Toilet' is a famous Japanese urban myth of a girl ghost that haunts... well, you can work it out for yourself.  (I th...